The African Spelling Bee was founded in 2016 by 10 Spelling Bee organisations from Botswana, Ethiopia, Kenya, Lesotho, Nigeria, Malawi, South Africa, Uganda and Zimbabwe and they had the very first African Spelling Bee in the same year in Johannesburg, South Africa, bringing together 27 National Champions from each of the countries to participate.
The African Spelling Bee was started with a vision of celebrating the African Child, inspiring them them to be literate and creating a platform for them to connect and build their confidence. We are 100% sure that the future belongs to these children, and we are determined to create a space for them to flourish and become the Africa we want to see. We strongly believe that through the African Spelling Bee, we shall be able to promote a learning environment where every child gets to develop life lasting skills that will enable them to grow into credible change agents and authentic leaders.
Together, country spelling bees, we have reached and impacted over 10 million learners across the continent through national spelling competitions, teacher trainings and reading interventions among other literacy interventions.
An Africa where the Children are Inspired, Literate, Confident and Connected.
To Design and Promote a supportive and positive learning platform in which every Child has the opportunity to develop life lasting skills which foster self confidence and personal growth through Spelling Bees.
- To improve literacy and academic excellence
- To build and sustain a reading culture
- To develop self esteem, confidence, interpersonal skills, of the Learners and ability to thrive under pressure
- To Celebrate the cultural diversity and unity of the African Child.
- To develop human capital through capacity building
- To promote community based partnerships by engaging members of the various communities in advancing the benefits of the Spelling Bees